We have been asked that question several times when telling folks that Dan is headed to Timbuktu. He is traveling with my uncle and they are in for an adventure! My uncle has been there for almost two weeks and is keeping a blog called "Onward to TIMBUKTU" and you can follow their trip from the link on my blog buddy list. I, for one, am shocked that they have internet in the places that they are travelling but am glad that we can stay in touch. They are going to find out first hand why we use the phrase from here to Timbuktu. They will be traveling on a "pinasse", which is a river boat, for three days with sacks of rice and make multiple stops to small villages along the way. They will be doing this all while sleeping on the floor of the glorified canoe.
I am very thankful that my uncle is taking Dan along on this journey because Timbuktu and the desert is a place that I have no desire to visit. My idea of a vacation and Dan's idea of a vacation are very different. For instance, if you have to pack a small backpack filled with a mosquito net, malaria pills, one change of clothes and Imodium, you can better believe that I am not interested in going. That being said, this is a dream trip for Dan and I am so excited that he has this opportunity. When my uncle mentioned this trip to him, he was very uncertain about going because he didn't want to leave me and Mary Beth and he was in between jobs at the time. I insisted that he go because this is one of those once in a lifetime experiences and I didn't want him to miss out. You see, one of Dan's greatest passions in life is to travel the world. He gave up a lot of his travel dreams when he married me and although he would never say that he had to give anything up for me, I know he would still be traveling the world if he was a single man. He feels alive when he is experiencing other cultures and it is good for his soul to see how other parts of the world live. I am excited that he will have two weeks away from his everyday wonderful life to see the world through the eyes of others. I pray that they will have safe travels and that God will be even more real in their lives when they return. I will miss Dan very much but am thrilled for this experience. What's good for his heart is good for mine. Have a blast, experience all that you can and we can't wait to see you in two weeks!
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



so excited for dan. can't wait to hear all about the adventure! cs
ReplyDeleteholy moly! how exciting (for him, not for me; i'll be in the hotel with you betsy). as a former travel buddy of dan's (guatemala 2005) i would say he is equipped. something about him just makes flight attendants give him free champagne.
ReplyDelete