Monday, July 1, 2013

Double Tubes

Both kids have had more than their fair share of ear infections and this year things seemed to get even worse.  We finally visited a ENT doctor and she confirmed that both kids were candidates for the surgery.  They both have mild hearing loss but they think the hearing will come back once they had tubes so that is good news.  I had heard great things about the surgery and since it is such a short procedure, I decided to schedule them for back-to-back surgeries.  I am so happy that we went for it!  One day off work, one trip to the hospital and will have one trip for the follow up visits.  Our surgeries were schedule for 7:30am and we had to be at the surgery center by 6:00am.  We woke the kids up at 5:00am so the day started super early.  Everything went really smoothly and the surgeries started on time.  I was able to go to the operating room with both kids and seeing them struggle and cry as they were putting them to sleep was by far the hardest part of the process.  Ben went first and then MB.  By the time MB was put under, I was able to make it back to the post-op room where Dan was waiting with Ben.  He was still out of it and woke up about a minute after I got in the room.  His eyes opened and he sat straight up and started wanting to get down and run around.  He was a mile and minute and the nurses couldn't get over how well he was acting since most kids are really upset and cranky when they wake up.  MB came in pretty quickly after that and she slept for another 10 minutes or so while we were trying unsuccessfully to keep Ben quiet.  When she woke up, she was more out of it and it took her a while to wake up.  We were released to leave and on the way out, the nurse handed me a bag for the car just in case MB got sick in the car.  I'm so glad she did!  We were about 15 minutes into our trip and she started saying that her pajamas were choking her.  I didn't catch everything quite in time but was able to catch most it.  We were home by 9:30am and by 10:00am, MB was totally back to normal and wanted to eat breakfast.  We even went to chick-fil-a for lunch and played on the playground.  We were totally amazed how well they did.  We are really hoping they have had their last ear infections!
Really hope this is the last time my sweet babies will be in hospital gowns.

Trying to keep Ben still

The surgery center had a closet full of gifts for them to choose from.

Getting juiced up after his surgery was over.

Poor baby finally getting some rest on the way home.

2 comments:

  1. Glad Ben woke up sweetly! Rob did not! I heard him screaming from outside the recovery room. It took him a bit to calm down but he was completely fine by the time we got home. Hope you have no ear infections. We have had a few but I will take them over all we had last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless their little hearts!!! so glad they did well. i had 3 sets of tubes when i was little and it was a much bigger deal then. to this day there is a certain smell that will trigger my memories of the big black gas mask that they would always put on me to knock me out. that was the scariest part for sure. BUT... tubes are so worth it in the end. hope they both are done with those pesky ear infections forever!

    ReplyDelete