Last Wednesday, Ben and I went on an adventure. MB was staying with her mimi and papa and Dan was having dinner with his buddies so we were by ourselves for the evening. We were footloose and fancy free so I decided to trek it over to Lenox Mall to pick up my Easter baskets from Pottery Barn Kids.
(Side Story: Let me start by saying that it took me several years to break down and purchase their Easter baskets. I have been drooling over them for years but didn't want to fork over the cash. You see, I am a thrifty shopper. I love searching for bargains and am always trying to get a good bargain. I never pay full price and if I do it's for something really specific that I know will not go on sale. I decided to buy the basket liners from PBK this year and then figured I could find baskets to fit for cheaper than they sell them in the store and try to save $20. This is where my wonderful husband who knows me so well stepped in. He asked me to please just go ahead and buy the baskets too because he knew I would spend the next three weekends trying to track down a basket and then would either be dissapointed that I had to settle for one that didn't fit or mad that I couldn't find anything and then it would be too late to buy the real ones before Easter and I would have wasted a lot of time. So, I am listening to him and I decided to go with the real thing but it turns out they sell out quick! Who knew? I wanted the brown one for Ben but they were sold out of those so I had to get on a waiting list. I now have the brown one that came in this past Monday. I had them reserve them for me so I wouldn't have to worry about getting all the way to the store and then realize they were all out. End of long side story.)
So, I fed Ben and headed out the door to Lenox which I hadn't been to in years! It was almost 7:30pm by the time I got there which was perfect because I didn't have any problems with parking and the mall wasn't very packed. I went straight to Pottery Barn Kids to get my baskets (y'all know how efficient you have to be with a little person, there is no time to dawdle) and as soon as I walked in, I heard this familiar voice. By the time I got to the register I realized it was Paula Dean and her husband Michael shopping in the store. I decided to play it cool and resist the temptation to take pictures of the back of their heads with my phone. Then Michael turned around and starting chatting with me and talking to Ben. It was like we had been family friends or something and he started telling me all about his grandsons and how much fun they have with them and that they hope to have a granddaughter one day, etc. then the butter queen herself turns around and starts chatting it up. I'm again trying to play it cool so I just stand there and smile and talk about what a sweet baby Ben is and try to avoid being socially awkward which is so hard sometimes. Paula then started tickling Ben's toes and he is just cracking up at her and loving her so much! She baby talked with him for a good while and when she stood up from leaning over his stroller, I gave her a hug and told her "I just love you!". Not awkward at all! I totally blew my play it cool cover in that one second! Their body guard probably was keeping a close eye on the crazy girl using her baby to chat it up with them. It was all so funny and strange! Later I realized that I must have looked like a stalker because I walked right into the store and stood right behind them without shopping around or acting like I was a casual shopper or anything. There were other people in the store doing this and they would come up and talk to Ben like he was their ticket to talking to Paula. It was so funny! This whole encounter lasted about 10 minutes or so as they finished up their shopping and left the store. I told them to have a good night and they baby talked with Ben one more time before heading out. I paid for my baskets sent a text to a few people telling them what had happened and then decided to run into Gymboree and look at their sunglasses for MB to stick in her basket. As soon as I walked in, there they were again and I was so embarrassed! I knew what it must have looked like at that point but I had to own it and try and play it cool again. Michael turned around and with a big old grin asked me if I was stalking them. I laughed and said we must be on the same shopping path. I scooted buy him, quickly picked out some sunglasses (I knew I was buying something and had to make it quick) and waited at the counter for someone to help me. We were the only three people in the store and I just wanted to buy the sunglasses and get out of there so they could have some non-stalker time to enjoy shopping. Michael then came up and asked more questions about Ben and then started shopping again. Once I checked out, I b-lined it out of the store without saying anything (they were busy in the back) and Michael yelled out "Bye Benjamin!". I turned around to wave with a big smile, told them to have a great night and then speed walked all the way back to my car.
It was such a fun encounter and I did my best to walk the line of showing them I was interested enough in talking to them but not over the top stalkerish and give them some space. Paula looked so great and has lost a lot of weight and they could not have been more friendly and down to earth! Since there was no way I was going to ask to get a picture with them, I took one of Ben's expression after we ran into them. He seriously thought she was so funny!
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


just awesome!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness!!! that is crazy! glad to know miss paula was nice. i have heard rumors from savannah people that she is not pleasant at all. good for you for playing it cool! i can't believe they were just at the mall...don't they have "people" for that...haha! i'm not surprised at all that they went to pieces over ben. he is the most adorable guy and those constant smiles are killer!!
ReplyDelete