Sunday, March 27, 2011
Good-Bye Old Friend
Yesterday was a big day in the Milam house. We had a good-bye ceremony for the nah nahs (pacifiers) and she threw them all in the trash. I have been dreading this day for months because MB loves the nah nah better than anything else in this world. She talks about it all the time and would ask for it whenever we mentioned a nap or riding in the car. It has been our saving grace in many sticky situations and has soothed her better than anything else. Lately, she has been driving us crazy wanting it more often so we decided it was time to give it up. I was really worried that she was going to have melt down after melt down and wondered how she would ever ride in the car or sleep in peace again. Well, the little lady has surprised us and has done really well. She asked for it once before her nap yesterday and we reminded her of the speech she heard at the start of the trashing ceremony that since she is a big girl now, she doesn't need the nah nah anymore. Those are only for babies and we reminded her that she had thrown them in the trash that morning. She asked for it a few more times yesterday but never cried or pitched a fit over it. We are still amazed at how well she is handling it and extremely thankful that it has gone as well as it has. I have been really sad because I feel like she truly is growing up and is no longer a baby. I am not in a rush for her to grow up which probably is why I haven't made her give up the nah nah before now. I want to let her be a little girl for as long as possible. To reward her big girl transformation, we finger painted for the first time. But don't worry, the paint was clear and only shows up on the special paper so I haven't completely lost my mind. She loved it!
Three of five going in. I later pulled them out and washed them just in case we needed them (I'm a chicken, I know) but it looks like it is safe to put them up for good.
Not too happy about modeling the apron that I made for her. Well, I didn't make the entire apron but I sewed on the M to jazz it up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This post gives me inspiration to hopefully soon do the same with MG's "pacis". She too has been asking for the paci more, so it looks like it may need to happen soon. I love MB's apron! and the finger paint, I'm thinking MG would love to do that! MB is precious!
ReplyDeleteAhh becoming a big girl! We never got into the paci so I have not had to do this (thankfully!!) Hooray for MB!
ReplyDelete